Friday, January 23, 2009

On Heath Ledger

I post this one year from the day that Heath Ledger died of a drug overdose. I just saw that statement on the news and I thought I may pen my feelings about him. Glancing at Wikipedia, I notice that I've seen all of his films post 1998, his career seems to have coincided with my interests throughout my life. While his breakthrough film, Two Hands, was fantastic in my opinion, I feel that Brokeback Mountain brought him into the ranks of other fantastic Australian male actors, such as Crowe and Jackman.

His movie A Knight's Tale, while being childish, holds a special place in my heart as it was the favourite of a now departed friend. I'm in two minds about his award nominations, though I think it is more due to the argument of actors receiving praise after death. On one hand, its a great tribute, but are we not bias and is it not more deserving to a living actor?

Still, may he rest in peace.

No comments: